Earlier this summer we managed to get our hands on about 50 free tomato plants. JGL tilled up the back with the compost that we’ve been brewing since December, and we’ve been letting them do their thing, and on all accounts they seem to be doing well. As the compost started to do its thing, we noticed that several of the pumpkin and gourd seeds that made their way in had survived and sprouted. We now not only have a tomato forest, but a pretty sizable pumpkin patch as well.
I’ve let the pumpkins and gourds be because I’m wondering if they’ll control the weeds and provide the tomatoes with shade and protection–I’m very much hoping this will be a happy accident, and one that will grace our doorstep with a magnificent fall display!